Wednesday, May 17, 2006

ANYBODY LISTENING?

Cosby urges blacks to fix communities
Tribune news servicesPublished May 17, 2006
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Comedian Bill Cosby said at a forum on family and education Tuesday night that African-Americans should be proactive and fix their own communities. "I have a problem with people sitting there and saying God and Jesus will find a way," Cosby said. He also said he had a problem "with churches who allow drug dealers to set up two blocks away." The audience cheered several times during Cosby's remarks.
The star of the hit situation comedy "The Cosby Show" was at the University of the District of Columbia as part of his nationwide tour, "A Call Out with Cosby," designed to spark debate about family and educational issues among black communities. Washington Mayor Anthony Williams designated May 16 as "Bill Cosby Day."

1 comment:

Knightridge Overlook said...

Fishin 4 Religion
by Arrested Development

Uh, huh! Grab the hook, grab the line
Grab the bait, grab the box and wait,
And tackle and shackle the topic the faculty has chosen
Chosen by many, chosen by plenty,
Chosen by any man or woman
Who can't understand the topic that's known

(Nobody knows!)
Rock and clock the topic
As I drop my hook and get a bite

The reason I'm fishing for a new religion is:
My church makes me fall asleep!
They're praisin' a God that watches you weep,
But doesn't want you to do a damn thing about it.

When they want change, the preacher says, "Shout it!"
Does shoutin' bring about change? I doubt it.
All shoutin does is make you lose your voice.

So on the dock I sit in silence,
Staring at a sea that's full of violence.
Scared to put my line in that water,
'Cause it seems like no religion's in there.
Naively so, I give it another go,
Sittin in church, sharin legitimate woes.

Pastor tells the lady it'll be all right,
Just pray so you can see the pearly gates so white.
The lady prays, and prays, and prays, and prays, and prays, and prays, and prays, and prays, and...

It's everlastin,
There's nothing wrong with prayin,
It's what she's askin!

She's askin the Lord to let her cope
So one day she can see the golden ropes
What you pray for, God will give:
To be able to cope in this world we live.

The word cope and the word change
Is directly opposite, not the same,
She shoulda been prayin to change her woes,
But Pastor said pray to cope with those.

The government's happy with most Baptist churches,
Cause we don't do a damn thing to try to nurture
Brothers and sisters or the revolution,
Baptist teaches dyin' is the only solution.

Passiveness causes others to pass us by.
I throw my line until I've made my decision.
Until then? I'm still
Fishin' for religion....